The (Secret) City of London, Part 1: History

Help support videos like this:
T-shirts from DFTBA:
Grey's blog:

Also, check out provider of the reptoid Queen shirt:

You can follow me on:

1. Because… Romans.

2. I don’t know why, but this makes me want to play Age of Empires 2

3. The “city of London” charged me £130 for parking my moped with one wheel on a public footpath… that’s all you need toi know about them cunts. Also the rest of London, the bigger part is generally called “Greater London”

• MrMorethanexist March 12, 2015 @ 9:23 am

We have rules for a reason – break them and you get fined….easy! Don’t be a stupid cretin and obstruct people going about their lawful business and you will not have to pay the fine. Simple

• Wow, you got rekt mate.

• +Barrack Obama Your situation reminds me of Homer Simpson’s war and rage on New York.

• +Barrack Obama just sayin’ – one usually spells it ‘City of London’ – Capital-C – to absolutely disambiguate from London (greater).

• +Luca Kuhlman in my book, that’s optional.

4. anyone see the tower of sauron?

5. UniversalPotentate March 2, 2015 @ 11:12 am

Not sure why the slam in the middle of the presentation about “conspiracy theory nuts” was necessary. It kinda decreases CGP Grey’s credibility.

• EveryDayIsAGoodDay June 25, 2015 @ 1:47 am

The City of London is a hotly debated topic, it often comes up when talking about citizenship, birth certificates, corporate corruption and of course the sovereignty of nations. Just enjoy the discourse and keep what you know to be the truth readily available but on the sidelines while you absorb this info. I agree it is something we could have done without but it does not negate what he says.

• UniversalPotentate June 25, 2015 @ 3:25 am

+TheeCM5 I get that. I’m not one of those all or nothing types.
      I am just highly aware of the differences between being naive and cynical. Discernment is important to me. By extension so are the tools like logic which are required to do it.

• Well it’s neither dodgy “kinda conspiracy” nor “far out crazy made up conspiracy-theory”. It’ a city excempted from brittish democracy. It’s an official f*cking plutocracy; you’ll find that on f*cking Wikipedia. So it’s a city officielly ruled by corporations. In this city THE F*CKING CENTRAL BANK OF ENGLAND IS LOCATED. THIS CITY DONT HAVE THE BRITTISH POLICE-FORCE, THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PRIVATE F*CKING POLICE-FORCE. 34% OF ALL TRADE OF ENGLAND IS MADE HERE AND 4% OF THE GDP IS MADE HERE. They are fucking excempted from brittish laws and regulations including taxes and are the richest fucks of England. And people wont call this a sickening conspiracy?!! People are STUPID

• bannana live vest February 28, 2018 @ 9:52 pm

because he wants to make lies not popular.

6. Yo dawg, so I heard you like London.
    So I put a London in your London.

7. Vytautas4Xfiles May 31, 2015 @ 6:31 pm

Love the music in these videos.

• +Feynstein100 Thank you!!

• +SirSaxamaphone
      My pleasure, friend. This music is really good. More people should know about it. 🙂

• This music is pretty much the same as music from runescape… not very good, and doesn’t require that much skill to create…

• +Cat That’s why it is good, it just is. It’s not a masterpiece, it’s just like the music from his coffee video.
      Also I doubt runescape sound as good as this one, you must have listened too much to it and now you have an emotional attachment to it.

• Very good!!! I like the videos about Britain just because of Thatched Villagers

8. Could have added another layer at the end there, since the UK is part of the EU.

9. Londonception!

10. Don’t make fun about those conspiracy theorists. You never know…

• Lord Tippington the Wise - Atheist Knight of Le Reddit Gentlesirs April 6, 2016 @ 11:46 pm

+Brendon Andrews The same people told us it was just a conspiracy theory that the NSA was collecting all our calls, texts, and emails.

• Panama papers…….. That will be all

• +Brendon Andrews to be fair those conspiracy theories were still mostly unfounded and not based on evidence, the fact that they turned out to be true is nothing more than a weird coincidence.

• +knox140 well an idea has to begin somewhere. the conspiracy may have drug a bunch of nuts into its web, but somewhere down the line, someone knew.

• They usually know a lot more about the specific subject than most.

11. IT APPEARS that the video accurately depicts the situation that had existed BEFORE the London Government Act of 1963 and Greater London Authority Act of 1999 became effective. Presently, the 32 boroughs that the video labels “London” and the single entity the video calls “The City of London” are all elements of “Greater London.” “Greater London” is governed by the “Greater London Authority.” The “Greater London Authority” has within its jurisdiction 33 districts, including the City of Westminster, 31 other boroughs, and the “City of London.” The 33 districts of “Greater London” all have their own governments and mayors, but they are all part of “Greater London” and the “Mayor of London” is the Mayor of the whole of Greater London, which includes all of the 32 boroughs and “The City of London.” The video conveys the idea that “The City of London” is a kind of municipal enclave that is geographically within Greater London but not actually part of Greater London. This is now false.

12. 1:17 druids need a buff!!!

13. What a fascinating place London / England / Great Britain / The United Kingdom* is.

*Commonwealth’s may apply

• +Extreme Cynic I really like London to visit (apart from the driving) but it would personally find it too full on as a permanent place to live. The UK is a great place to live – okay the weather is unpredictable but nothing will eat / envenom / poison you and we don’t have to worry about volcanoes and earthquakes either.

• +leakycheese Yeah I know and i’m glad I live in the UK compared to some place like Syria but some times everyone wants a little adventure and something out of the ordinary.

• I'm Very Angry It's Not Butter!! December 18, 2017 @ 6:12 pm

+Extreme Cynic
      Isn’t that where Mrs. Buckley lives? I hear every July, peas grow there.

• Gabriel the US sucks I want to move to Germany and ski

• Universe documentary new

14. Burnt Reynolds April 6, 2016 @ 10:30 pm

Can you do an update to this video now that those conspiracy theories are probably based in reality since the Panama Papers revealed that the center of all of the corruption spider webbed out from within the “City of London?”

• Joshua Pelfrey June 27, 2016 @ 12:27 am

Or just do a video on the Panama Papers, which will probably spawn several movies in the years to come on the topic… No they won’t.

• The Panama Papers are a major deal and definitely deserve more attention. However, I feel that you don’t quite understand what they prove and what they do not prove.

Economists and other academics have for long known that there exists large scale tax-evasion and money laundering utilizing tax-havens. However, the Panama papers represent the first instance in history that we get a glimpse into one such operation and can therefore get valuable information on the size, scope and organizational structure of these off-shore operations.

The Panama papers confirmed what everyone who has been following business/economics the past decades has always suspected: there’s A LOT of money being hidden from tax-officials. This is of course entirely immoral and steps need to e taken globally to address this. HOWEVER,, the leaks do not in and of themselves prove anything beyond that. What I mean is that the conspiracies mentioned in the video do not start with “rich fucks are using the city of London to launder money and evade taxes” but rather that these people somehow control the entire world.

Obviously money influences politics a lot and many of the people in the panama papers probably did give out money to candidates etc. But the papers themselves did not reveal anything new, or confirm any conspiracy theory about the Masons being behind everything, they just provided factual verification on some things we have for long had a good reason to suspect is happening.

• Isn’t that kind of exactly what he talked about with Las Vegas and Paradise?

• “Probably based in reality”
      No the queen is not a reptilian, she’s just old.

• JonatasAdoM precisely what they want you to think

15. tfw what you call the conspiracy nut in 2012 ends up being the truth in 2016

• I'm Very Angry It's Not Butter!! January 21, 2018 @ 4:19 pm

You condescend others with every single comment. That’s why nobody wants to talk to you.

Change the way you speak to others, and people will listen.

• migkillerphantom January 21, 2018 @ 4:43 pm

I’m Very Angry It’s Not Butter!! I condescend to you in particular because your reaction warrants it. Turning this from a discussion about the validity of “conspiracy theories” into a session of amateur psychology and projection.

• I'm Very Angry It's Not Butter!! January 21, 2018 @ 4:56 pm

“I condescend to you in particular because your reaction warrants it.”

So you admit it. You just want to talk at me and tell me how right you are.

• He may be all those things but he’s not wrong about the Jews lel

• I'm Very Angry It's Not Butter!! March 15, 2018 @ 3:33 am

Okay. Now that I’ve put some distance from this argument, let me explain.

In an earlier post, I defined a conspiracy as “any unlawful (or at least unethical) plan devised between two or more people in secret. For example, the Enron scandal was a conspiracy amongst the executives, who acted in secret against the investors to steal their money.”

So naturally, when migkillerphantom states that the phenomenon of Jewish people striking it big in the economic sector is a “conspiracy”, I think I was quite rightfully pissed off. If he had been using my definition of the word “conspiracy”, he would be accusing my people of being “unlawful or unethical”, painting them with the very unfair “Greedy Jew” brush, a stigma that we haven’t stopped trying to slough off.

And if he wasn’t using my definition, then he was just being incredibly tone-deaf. Either way, the breakdown of communication definitely started on his end.

16. Lord Tippington the Wise - Atheist Knight of Le Reddit Gentlesirs April 6, 2016 @ 11:45 pm

Looks like the financial conspiracy theories are no longer just theories: https://www.yahoo.com/news/panama-papers-reveal-london-centre-spiders-173713142.html

• Lord Tippington the Wise - Atheist Knight of Le Reddit Gentlesirs April 7, 2016 @ 4:11 pm

+eastendthug Brother!

• RokosBasilisk May 24, 2016 @ 2:37 am

Yes, and it’s controlled by the Inner Circle, giving the 1% the immortality potions meant for Punxsutawney Phil, rigging the shadow system, so we also have 6 more weeks of winter.

• SuperResistant June 25, 2016 @ 8:01 pm

lmao, since when having offshore account is a conspiracy ? Everyone with a bit of money have one. I’m poor but already know exactly how to open one.

• +SuperResistant Hey I know you from bitcointalk. What are the chances of running into someone you know randomly on the internet? Seems like it would have to be low. Its like the population of half the world on the internet.

17. what is that at 19 seconds in?

18. Seems like the people in the city of London are just really enthusiastic role players

19. #CityInACityInACountryInACountry